created Aug 24, 2015
updated Mar 04, 2016
The impact of almost any policy or program depends on the population affected as well as the benefit experienced. The benefits of open data are not always denominated in dollars and cents; a non-profit e-newsletter costing less than 2 cents that reaches a million citizens may well be more politically impactful than a commercial software product costing 200 dollars that reaches the same million people.
- Community Rating
Current value: 0.0 out of 5
- Your Rating
- Goal 5: Efficient, Effective, and Accountable Government
- open-data, transparency
- Row Label
- Row Count
- https://data.results.wa.gov/Goal-5-Efficient-Effective-and-Accountable-Governm/G5-3-1-Open-Data-Public-Impact/6f5g-s2pfOpens in new window.
- Short URL
- https://data.results.wa.gov/d/6f5g-s2pf?category=Goal-5-Efficient-Effective-and-Accountable-Governm&view_name=G5-3-1-Open-Data-Public-ImpactOpens in new window.
- Data Source
- Staff data collection, recorded in Results WA dataset "Open Data Impact"
- Data Definition
- Number of "impressions" achieved by products, services or offerings that incorporate or are derived from Washington state open data Impressions include: publication subscribers, service subscribers, event attendees, website hits, API calls. Trusted impressions are impressions received from a source with whom the citizen has a relationship - such as a membership, an account, a subscription. This excludes anonymous hits on a web page, web bots, newspapers on a stand, etc.
- Data Frequency
- Target Rationale
- This is the first time we have attempted a measure of this nature, so the target is necessarily based on conjecture, and it's a bit of a stretch. During a sample period in 2014 WA open data sites achieved an average of 237,605 untrusted ""hits"" from anonymous users; during the same period Inrix achieved more than 1 million installs of one of their several apps that present trusted data to subscribers. Other private app developers and service companies are believed to achieve similar subscriber reach with 50+ other products that incorporate state data.